Monthly Archives: July 2013

Long Term Paddler Development (LTPD)

Long Term Paddler Development (LTPD)

The BCU have produced the Long Term Paddler Development (LTPD) pathway report which sets out the vision for how LTPD is to be integrated into paddlesport. The sport of canoeing is exceptionally varied, with two Olympic disciplines, six additional competitive disciplines and a vibrant and diverse recreational division that supports both a leisure market and high performance sectors such as expedition paddling and exploration. The LTPD pathway aims to provide a base of paddlesport and movement skills that will give an individual the best chance to reach their potential or fulfil their dreams. It aims to unify all branches of the sport to a common goal – providing the right opportunities at the right time ensuring paddlers are enjoying paddlesport and progressing at an optimal level. To achieve these aims there are three main phases:

Foundation Paddlesport – This phase is designed to develop a strong core of skills though enjoyable and appropriate activities. It aims to give the paddler a base to progress into either recreational or performance paddlesport or into other sports depending on their aspirations. The phase is split into three stages; FUNdamentals, Paddlesport Start and Development.

FUNdamentals
Age at start of phase: Age at end of phase:
Females 4 – 6 7 – 9
Males 5 – 7 8 – 10

Key Components:
Learning to move – general athletic formation.
First three years of sporting activity.
Physical activity recommended 4-6 hours per week, including at least 1 water based session and occasional paddlesport.
Prime focus is on fun and the development of fundamental skills (ABC’s etc)
Achieved chiefly by participation in other sports, multi-skills clubs and active play.
Paddlesport activities that develop a feel for sliding, spinning, gliding and floating,balance, spatial awareness, co-ordination, movement and water confidence.

Paddlesport Start and Development (Learning to Train)

Age at start of phase: Age at end of phase:
Females 7 – 9 8 – 10
Males 10 – 13 11 – 14

Key Components:
Learning to play sport and to paddle.
First three years of paddlesport activity.
Progressing from 1 – 3 hours paddling per week throughout stage.
Reducing participation in other sports from 6 – 3 hours per week.
At least 75% of sporting activity based around practice / training, the remaining 25% spent competing or performing.
High quality skill development in varied craft and varied environments.
Decision making skills developed – the ability to choose effective and efficient techniques to manoeuvre the boat around the water.
Water, movement and self confidence developed through skill development and positive experiences.

Performance Paddlesport – This phase aims to guide paddlers through into high performance. Paddlers who fall into this category include those with high aspirations in both the competitive and non-competitive disciplines. It is split into three stages; Train to Train, Train to Perform and Train to Excel.

Age at start of phase: Age at end of phase:
Females 10 – 13 12 – 15
Males 11 – 14 14 – 17

Train to Train

Key Components:
Discipline specific physiological and skill development.
Monitoring of development / PHV
Development of mental skills
Ratio of 75:25 practice/training : competing/performing
3-8 hours paddling. Plus land training and other sports as necessary

Train to Perform (Training to Compete)

Age at start of phase: Age at end of phase:
Females 12 – 15 15 – 20
Males 14 – 17 17 – 21
Key Components:
Optimising the physiological, technical and psychological skills.
7-14 specific training sessions per week. Plus land training and other sports as necessary.
Event, individual, position and environmental tactical development
Ratio of 50:50 practice/training : competing/performing
Train to Excel (Train to Win)

Age at start of phase: Age at end of phase:
Females 15 – 20
Males 17 – 21
Key Components:
Producing high level performances.
Individualised training and development programmes
Diagnostics approach to development
Ratio of 25:75 practice/training : competing/performing

Recreational Paddlesport – This phase aims to give paddlers opportunity and skills to maximise their enjoyment and satisfaction from the sport to whatever level they desire. The LTPD pathway is used as a goal setting and evaluation tool, helping individuals and coaches identify specific areas that need development in order to reach these goals. It is applicable to paddlers who wish to achieve personal goals andis equally relevant to the competitive and non-competitive disciplines.

Recreational Stage (Retaining)

Key Components:
Maximise enjoyment from sport.
Help paddlers reach personal goals to whatever level they desire
Individualised training and development programmes
Needs analysis and goal setting